Thursday 17 February 2011

Greek chicken soup (avgolemono)




When I get a cold, what I most like is chicken soup. I really feel it is what I need when I'm feeling weak and tired.
This greek chicken soup is really tasty and I recommend you try it as it is easy and delicious

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
1 carrot 
3/4 cup of rice or orzo
juice of 2 lemons
1 stalk of celery
1 onion 
3 eggs 
salt and pepper to taste 


Directions: 

1.Place chicken in pot, add water until chicken is just covered. Slice up carrot, onion, and celery (optional) and add to chicken. Cover and simmer until chicken and vegetables are done.

2. Remove chicken and vegetables. Place them in a seperate bowl and strain out the broth. Return broth to pot and boil.

3. When broth is boiling add rice and simmer until rice is done - around 20 minutes. (There should be around 8 cups of broth)
4.Meanwhile, beat 3 eggs until fluffy and gradually beat in the juice of two lemons into the egg mixture. Get two cups of the broth and very slowly add that to the egg mixture, beating quickly.
5. Slowly add the above egg and lemon mixture into the remaining rice soup above, blending the entire mixture until creamy smooth.

6. Slice up the chicken and veggetables and add them back into the rice soup as desired.




1 comment:

  1. I will try this - except I suspect mine will be a scrambled egg and chicken soup!x

    ReplyDelete