Monday 14 March 2011

The Reader (2008 Film)

I had been meaning to see this film ever since it came out, and have had it on DVD, in my house for quite a bit. So the other day after a friend told me how much she enjoyed it I decided it was time to watch it.


The story takes place in post World War II Germany, where Michael Berg, a German lawyer who as a teenager in the late 50s had an affair with an older woman, Hanna Schmitz. Their summer fling ended when she suddenly disappeared. Years later as a law student Michael is an observant at a war crimes trial where he encounters Hanna, who is one of the defendants in the trial due to her actions as a guard at a concentration camp. 
During the trial, Michael realises that Hanna is keeping a secret that in her opinion is more daunting than her actions as an SS guard. 
The heart of the story is the deep love, and how far a person could go to keep a secret. 

Even though the film is great, I must admit that I find it hard to empathise with a guard who participated in mass murder. 

I can however praise the acting, as Kate Winslet is sensational and I believe her Academy Award was well deserved. 


If you haven't seen it, I recommend you to as it is a grasping film. 




No comments:

Post a Comment